Monday, August 15, 2016

Compression Socks and Moon fFace

Lots of people wear compression socks these days. I think it is a bit of a fad like gluten-free diet for people who are not celiacs.

I have been wearing compression socks for about 20 years - because I have to - not for a fashion statement. I had 2 deep vein thrombosi (DVTs) in 1997. My doctor caught them and I took blood thinners to prevent the clot from moving into my lungs (causing a pulmonary embolism). I had no really bad repercussions - except that my left leg swells up if I don't wear a compression sock. I don't think this is harmful but it is scarey to look at.

Now I am getting swelling in both legs - though the left is much worse. It could be from the prednisone and other corticosteroids. The Mayo Clinic lists lower leg swelling as a side-effect of prednisone - so I'm not just making this up.

Most of the time wearing compression socks is not a problem. I just wear them under my pants.  But it is a pain in the hot summer weather when you would like to wear sandals or at least short socks. And the swelling seems worse when the weather is hot. So I am now wearing my long socks with shorts and bright coloured running shoes. I think I look pretty odd - especially when I wear the pink ones from Dr. Segal!.


 I am also beginning to think I might be getting a prednisone moon face. My mother got a very round face from taking a small prescription of prednisone for many years. I thought she looked like Chairman Mau. I think I am looking more and more like her. My cheeks and chin are rounder than I ever remember and I doubt that it's the 3 lbs I've gained now that I am eating like a normal person. I'm still pretty petite! Eeks

I am going to talk about this with Dr. Javer tomorrow. It may be just another aggravation of severe asthma but I don't have to like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment