Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Colonoscopy - Part 1.

I had thought I would not write about my colonoscopy- but today I learned that, in BC, the government has funded a plan whereby everyone between the ages of 50 and 74 will have a colonoscopy. Realizing everyone will have to go through this and thinking that knowing what you're getting into is useful, I decided I would describe my colonoscopy process blow by blow.  Don't read it if you aren't interested.  The reason the government is funding this program is that  colon cancer is the second most common form of cancer. Finding precancerous polyps and removing them improves peoples' chances of not dying from cancer by 90%. I am a bit different from average because I had blood in my fit test. So, in my opinion, they are probably gong to find something. Hopefully it will be a benign polyp that they will cut off and suck out and that will be the end of it.

It is now3 pm on  the day before the screening test. Last night I took 3 ducolax tablet - these are modest laxatives that get you started on cleaning out  your colon. I have already had about 6 watery  BMs. I am also drinking an incredible amount of fluid today. First, 3 litres of clear fluids between this morning and 4:30 this afternoon. Right now I am drinking 250 ml (more than a cup) every half hour. It's a lot. I need all this fluid so that my body is thoroughly hydrated before I start taking the heavy-duty laxative at 5 pm. Once I start drinking that nasty stuff, all the moisture will be sucked out of my body and I could become severely dehydrated if  I don't increased my hydration level right now.

I have now drunk 2 litres of clear fluids and feel as if I am swelling up a bit. I didn't drink very much this morning due to being at the teaching session at NRGH and then shopping for a variety of clear fluids. Apple juice, which is what I had bought, will not replace all the nutrients I will loose. I am drinking apple juice, gingerale, broth, and jello. I also have popsicles. At 5 o'clock I start drinking 3 litres of a laxative called CoLyte - 250 ml every 20 minutes for the first 2 litres and than 250 ml every 30 minutes for the next litre. This will cause some watery bowel explosions and clean me out. The timing for this to start is different for everyone - could be in 15 minutes or not for a few hours. I hope mine is done soon. (Pause I am now off to drink 250 ml of gingerale. Done. So this is what I'm doing at 3 o'clock on a sunny but smokey (from forest fires) afternoon  at the end of August.

1 comment:

  1. And it got worse as the evening wore on to the point we checked with BC Nurse online and followed her advice to stop CoLyte.

    ReplyDelete